Wednesday, March 7, 2007

We were required to take photos of a commercial building under construction, or one that you could readily see the structure from inside when it was finished. I opted to take photos of Bunnings Warehouse, a hardware store as it was easily accessible to me. From inside I could easily see how the structure of the building worked and where it got its support from. Here are my photos.


From the outside you can see that the building spans approximately 40 metres, and from previous trips to Bunnings I know that inside there are no supporting walls making this a continuos span.






Here we can see the use of a steel frame. steel and concrete in construction allow for the building to be more stable in a long span, compared to how it would work if timber was used.











The use of collums allow for support of the roof, creating an open space.


1 comment:

Jeremy Ham's Construction Blog said...

good pics...but now for some scanned drawings!?